• Home to up to 100 Navajo people
• Called Tsé Bii Ndzisgaii, or “Clearing Among the Rock” by the Navajo.
• Regarded as an enormous hogan, or dwelling, with the two isolated stone pinnacles to the north as its door posts.
• The two soaring buttes known as the Mittens are believed to be the hands of a deity.
Ask the students:
1. What are some places that you believe are sacred?
2. Why might it be a sacred place?
3. Why might the Navajo believe Monument Valley is sacred?
4. Why should we treat the land as sacred if it is not a part of our belief system?